IFCA International Fast Community Alliance

Retirement

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Retirement

Post by GTDon2 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm announcing my retirement from the daily operations of the IFCA. I'm stepping away from organized simulation Forza racing once the 2013 Champion has been crowned in late September.

This is not a poor reflection on the IFCA, the Forza community, its supporters, or its detractors. It's more a handing off of the baton to the capable hands of the people. After 8 years, it's time to step down and let others step up.

The IFCA was always meant to be highly democratic, but also with strong leadership, to thwart the mischievous among us who might otherwise try to commondere or run the ship aground. Now that this mission has been achieved it is time to turn the wheel over to her fans, and let them set sail in the direction they prefer.

I'm completely satisfied with my time as her captain weathering the storms and enjoying the calm seas as we went. It's been very gratifying to see everyone come and go and grow as sim-racers and people. I trust that there are no hard feelings, and not too many cheers as I relinquish command. My hope is that the IFCA will travel on. To aid her in her future journeys, I will continue to pay for the domain as long as there are folks who wish to navigate the simulation racing waters.

Look to the many IFCA regulars to continue on, such as ABEnstein, OneShot, Nelly, corwin, sirkane, kickrocks, Rodmasterr, Vator, eries, posimosh, Nelly75, Cobrajet, Kryptonic, etc. These are all good guys I have enjoyed racing with and organizing with.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not retiring from simulation Forza racing, just organizing. I look forward to competing with all of you in the future as time permits.

On a brighter note, there has been a 3rd party interest in our unique ratings system for the 2014 season. Your ratings will continue on into the future thanks to this new group who intends to sharpen the formula at a new website. I have assurances that they will respect the work we have put into the ratings system and that they only want to make it better and more accurate. An announcement about this will be later in the fall, but so far I really like what they have shown me.

So fear not, change can be good, and again, I look forward to racing with you in the future. It's been a pleasure and honor to captain this boat, but it is time for a change of command. As a safeguard I will maintain my rights and privaledges as an IFCA Founder in case mayhem should rear his ugly head somehow, but other than this you will not hear from me as an IFCA organizer. I will become as one of you, just a racer looking to compete in clean fun racing.

Thanks for your support over the years, see you at the track.

Full Throttle,

AAR GTDon

P.S. My official departure as an IFCA organizer will be Tuesday, Oct 1st, 2013.

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Local : Minnesota, USA

Registration date : 2007-04-04

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: GTDon2
IFCA Car #: 4
Infractions: 0 out of 3,000,000,000

http://allamericanracers.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Retirement

Post by AAR ABEnstein on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Thank you Don for your service to the online racing community! You have definitely done your job to help bring the IFCA back and make it a reputable and competitive organization once again.

"Your ratings will continue on into the future thanks to this new group who intends to sharpen the formula at a new website."

By "new group" do you mean a group of computer experts? And will the IFCA still have control over this ratings system?

"As a safeguard I will maintain my rights and privaledges as an IFCA Founder in case mayhem should rear his ugly head somehow, but other than this you will not hear from me as an IFCA organizer."

So I'm assuming there will be a group of a few "working" administrators then to administer ranking, penalties, and organize series, then?

TORA 24 Heures du Mans 6th place (LMP/Overall) w/All American Racers.
2012 IFCA World Championship 3rd Place
Only 3 career IFCA wins, but many podiums.
AAR ABEnstein
Admin
Admin

Male

Local : Apple Valley, CA, USA

Registration date : 2010-09-08

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: AAR ABEnstein
IFCA Car #: 127
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Actually Abe, you will be one of the new admins and in full control of the IFCA. You won't be alone however, there will be others.

This new group that has solicited me to take over the IFCA ratings system are a mix of a couple computer guys, and I think a few fast guys from different leagues. They would like to see their modified version of the IFCA ratings system used by more leagues and series events around the Forza world. They believe that this can be done more easily through a non-race organizing independant body, unlike the IFCA. They don't want to be mentioned by name because they feel that annonymity is key. They don't want anyone saying that because they are from TORA, or T10, or wherever, the ratings are skewed in some certain way.

I agree with them that a fully independant sanctioning body that only does ratings is probably the best way to go. They also like my initial plan of merging the ratings of real racers from different leagues like F1 and NASCAR, and with simulation racers using the same scale. They think that it will be an entertaining and fair comparison not seen anywhere that will drive traffic back to their website over and over.

My guess is that they will eventually sanction a special invitational championship at the end of the year based on everyones listed ratings. I'm just glad I won't have to do the ratings myself anymore, it's a lot of work.

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MTBVator on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:10 pm

This was probably a difficult decision, long in the making. Thanks for your service.

80-119 posts
80-119 posts

Male

Local : Seattle

Registration date : 2012-10-30

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: MTBVator
IFCA Car #: 58
Infractions:

http://m.facebook.com/#!/brian.bennett.5458?%24MURI__user=0

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 am

MTB_Vator wrote:This was probably a difficult decision, long in the making. Thanks for your service.

Yes it was. I figure after nearly 10 years of getting people together (and sometimes ripping them apart) it's time to enjoy just being a competitor in whatever series happens to come up. I've really had my fill of leading the way, being the judge, the bridge, and the creator of events.

It's been a long and good run enabling me to go so far as to co-author the Forza 3 guide, be a mod at T10, finish 4th in a national event, write for gaming blogs, and the list goes on. But really, the coolest thing is the people you get to know. For better or worse, it is the people that impress you the most with all their different backgrounds and nationalities. They are the most interesting thing about Forza it turns out.

Others will take the baton, and move forward with their unique vision of the IFCA. And this is as it should be.

Thanks for the memories boys. cheers

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by THO Shooter on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:21 am

Thank you for your long term service, I hope you find enjoyment in your future role when it comes to racing, i will look forward to racing you on track when you sign up for racing series and hopefully bring a good battle to you, you will be sorely missed as an admin here at IFCA and i certainly hope you have found a good line up of people to take the helm and run this place like it needs to survive.

On behalf of IFCA and British American Racing, i bid you good luck and hope you find happiness in where ever your wheels are turning !

Dont forget to say hello to us once in a while aswell lol !

THO Shooter
300-469 posts
300-469 posts

Registration date : 2013-05-03

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag:
IFCA Car #: ? ? ?
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks Smurfy, no doubt we will lock bumpers in the future.  lol  For now, I will help out to close out the 2013 season and work as an occasional advisor until full control can be transferred over to all the interested parties.

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by THO Shooter on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am

That sounds like a good idea !

THO Shooter
300-469 posts
300-469 posts

Registration date : 2013-05-03

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag:
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by corwinKB on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:46 pm

That must have been a hard decision to make, I know how much you love racing and the IFCA while promotion sportsmanship and a fair environment. I think we can all agree that you go above and beyong when making sure car builds and league rules are set up to help everyone not just the elite. So it is both sad and reassuring that you will be stepping down as an organizer but at the same time it is great that you want to keep racing.

Hopefully I can get in a few more races before I go to Germany but life has been very busy lately.
corwinKB
680-929 posts
680-929 posts

Male

Local : Michigan, USA

Registration date : 2010-07-23

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: corwinMB
IFCA Car #: 2
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:34 pm

thanks corwin, i too will be out of town for the next couple weeks for work.

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Posimosh on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks Don... Can't say I blame you for stepping away from the "fun" full time job that you have done in your "free" time after "only" 8 years.  Its been somehow settling to know that I'll be able to find a clean, competitive, and fair racing most nights of the week. That said, I can't say I blame you for stepping back from the massive amount of work it is to keep something like this running.  Anyway thanks for all that you do and for all that you have done.  See you on track.
The Posimosh
30-79 posts
30-79 posts

Male

Registration date : 2012-04-25

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: The Posimosh
IFCA Car #: 13
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:11 am

Hey thanks Posi, we will have fun racing in the future, see you at the track.

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kickrocks29 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Well I can't say I expected to see this in my email today... First of all, I would like to say, What up mofaukkiiiii!!!!??? lol Secondly appologize for my lack of participation in the past few months. I started a new job and the racing season has kept me pretty busy leaving not much time for Forza. With that being said, I would like to Thank you Don, I have known you for quite a while and even before I ever met you, Sp33d would talk about you all the time as you guys were quite close in the begining of all of this. 

It has been my pleasure to be a part of the IFCA and run door handle to door handle with the most prestigious drivers known to Forza. All the races we have done, all the wrecks we have been involved in, all the victories that have been claimed, champions crowned, rivalries sparked and closest friends made. None of this would have ever happened if it wasn't for one GTDon. For this I thank you and everyone should. Your name should go down in the record books as somewhat of a god to the forza community. People will never know how detrimental your dedication has been on many of our "online racing careers". Yes it is a game, no we don't get paid but if the structure was never laid out, if the site was not maintained, if we did not participate and recruit fresh drivers, we would not be the drivers we are today. The IFCA rules when it comes to online racing and all these other leagues are scared to admit it. All thanks to GTDon. If nothing else, you're alright in my book bud. Thanks for the awesome run. I'll stick around and offer my assistance if needed in making this ship sail as smooth as ever. Good luck to Abe as I see him becoming a major part of this transition and again, thank you Don for all the memories we have had spanning back to my days at DMR and beyond. 

Best of luck GTDon,

Sincerely,

IFCA #29 KickRocks29

iRUF iRUF iRUF
FORZA RACERS UNION
iRUF.guildportal.com

The Bowtie's always on
Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
kickrocks29
120-299 posts
120-299 posts

Male

Registration date : 2007-10-01

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: KickRocks29
IFCA Car #: 29
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Wow, thanks kick! your praise may be a touch over the top but i thank you.  you are so right about the influence of the IFCA on everyone including me.  the very best drivers in Forza have graced these halls both in speed and in character, and we are all better for it. 

thanks

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kickrocks29 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Well maybe a little over the top but it is true in my eyes. For all those who see this and say wow, he must be in love with this guy or something, he just called him a god... KickRocks29 has been through a pretty tough time over the years and very well could have ended up in a very bad spot if it wasn't for the happenings of this game. This may be news to you as well Don as I never really went into depth of my situations over the mic. 

At a very shaky part of my life, my brother SP33D RAC3R 28X turned me on to Forza Motorsports. I sucked horribly, I spun my car out around every other corner but it kept me out of the streets. I couldn't understand how some of these guys could run so fast side by side and have such poise and control while talking and laughing and enjoying the experience. I was so slow... it didn't matter. At some point in time, i made a friend in a guy that called himself GTDon. A good friend of my brother's and accepted me into his community without question. I was scared to enter my first IFCA event because I didn't think i had it in me to compete. This is when I met Dub and Kryptonic, with my brother being in a whole other caliber and prestigious club, I joined DMR. All these guys probably don't realize it but forza could very well have saved my life at that point. I went from being out on the corner all night making pretty dumb decisions to locking in to a ride and running lap after lap with my new club, learning the ins and outs of the cars, tuning and race procedures. I had racing experience on our local oval track but nothing like this simulator. it was a whole new world. GTDon hosted weekly exhibition races with old school muscle cars and invited me to come run with no pressure, Kryp ran the CRT series and we practiced regularly, I felt like I had a second family on the game. not to go too deep into my life but thats why I gave you that compliment Don.  Sometimes the littlest thing someone does (like make a league and invite a noob such as myself) can effect another's life more than they even realize. I appreciate what you have done here. Thats all... Thanks

iRUF iRUF iRUF
FORZA RACERS UNION
iRUF.guildportal.com

The Bowtie's always on
Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
kickrocks29
120-299 posts
120-299 posts

Male

Registration date : 2007-10-01

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: KickRocks29
IFCA Car #: 29
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:23 pm

I never knew that Kick.  I'm honored and gratified, especially from someone who has come so far in Forza.  You were right down at the bottom I know, but then after some dedication you run with the best of them, always a threat to win. (unless your brother shows up lol)

But seriously, I never knew I was that influential and I'm glad I was.  Usually you hear only the bad comments like, "GTDon, he's a jerk!"  even from people I don't recall racing with! lol 

I just enjoy racing, and the people that do.  I'm not much of a gamer either, I just like cars and racing, and have tried to get people into the "sport" at a slightly higher level so that it isn't just a game to them. 

You can rarely get the same thrill of a first time IFCA race, or a big time final with faster guys in any other type of game that I know of.  The intensity is really fun, and like real racing, but without the physical risk.  So many times I have actually been nervous racing against just about everyone, and so many times I would be exhausted after a hard race. 

I promise we will have more!  Relieved of my IFCA duties, you better watch out pal! lol

Thanks,
Don

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AAR CobraJet on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

This all seems...well...like a bad dream. A brief history from myself, is in order though. Back in Forza2, I found out about the IFCA by accident. Some of the TRC guys let me into a practice room where they were running spec mustangs for an IFCA sponsored event. Most who know me...if I get an opportunity to run a Mustang...I WILL! They didn't know me from Jack...but they still let me in the room. I ran several laps with them, and after we were done and the room was emptying out, one of the guys said to me, "hey, if you're interested in a racing organization, go to www.ifcaracing.com". Not thinking much of it, I went to the site, got a car number (351) and contacted Don on xboxlive. To my surprise, Don got back to me....pretty fast...not knowing me from Jack or what the heck my racing skill level was. After talking with him, I found out something... wow...he's human...just like me! I was welcomed with open arms to the IFCA, made alot of friends, and raced with the fastest regardless of how bad I was. Don, the professionalism displayed by IFCA participants is a testament to the finest online racing organization and community leadership around! I admire your dedication toward fulfilling everyone's passion for cars and racing. A personal thanks I extend to you, my friend.
AAR CobraJet
120-299 posts
120-299 posts

Male

Local : Ohio

Registration date : 2009-02-06

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: AAR CobraJet
IFCA Car #: 9
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks Cobra, it's cool you noticed that I got back to you right away.  It's something I always tried to do with everyone.  It's just one of those anal things about me, that, and being on time.

The thing I see in the Forza racers isn't always the speed, but more the desire to have the speed.  And it is this desire that captures my attention to want to help out.  The fast guys don't need anymore help, I always wanted to help the new talent.

But as you and everyone here can see, it's not about GTDon, it's about the drivers, the people we get to have fun with.  These are guys who will run themselves off the track and into a wall before accidentally coliding with their rivals.  And you just have no choice but to respect and admire that.

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AAR CobraJet on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Caution, Don...tearjerker alert! The very first car that I raced in an official IFCA rated event...

Boy back in the day, a pack of these on Sunset roaring down the front stretch was awesome!
AAR CobraJet
120-299 posts
120-299 posts

Male

Local : Ohio

Registration date : 2009-02-06

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: AAR CobraJet
IFCA Car #: 9
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:04 pm

that was a great format for our stock car series i have to say!

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZAR Eries on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:40 am

WOW why dont you guys get a room already, muhahahahahahaha.

Seriously, now, yes this game was way more than well just a game.

Not many will know but even never met, Don and I are actually, in my eyes very good mates, so good that I sent him roughly 500US$ to send me a wheel to SA. lol that was another story.

Don has and will always be a gentleman, "Now I need to get a room"

Dont worry, I am sure we will see the TURTLE much more than we want to on the new ONE.

For me, I have now ditched the SA champs here and well, will start racing with Don and Co again, this after I finish Skyrim, wow, bought it placed it on the shelf and forgot it, just ook it out a week ago.

Hey Don, when you see me online do drop a chat, I am slaying dragons.

To those here, I have always seen and read what you wrote, it's now time for the old guys to admire you guys.

Oh and to those my story, Forza also saved my life:
I was married to a WITCH and after spending too much time on Forza she divorced my rear-end, best thing that could have EVER happened to me! Whoop Whoop

Hey Don, you should see the little man drive, so much that I need to play when he is a sleep, other wise he will not give me a chance!

PS:
Turtle

Season 1 IFCA FWC Champion
Season 2 IFCA FWC Champion
Season 7 IFCA FWC Champion
Season 1 IFCA TERM Champion
Season 2 IFCA TERM Champion
Season 2 Pacific Series Podium
Season 3 Pacific Series Podium
ZAR Eries
Gold Member

Male

Local : South Africa

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: ZAR Eries
IFCA Car #: 5
Infractions: 0 out of 3

http://www.ifcaracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:49 am

lol , funny eries.  Yes, your son will be better than you too! lol 

Kind words my friend, and yes, we will enjoy seeing what the young bloods have up their sleeves around here.

I will of course be getting the new Box, but not because it's so great, but because the people who are found inside it are great. It's all about the people on XBL for me, and not nearly as much about the games.  If there were no games, I'd still come on to laugh with everyone!

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiny Anteater on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:59 pm

OK, so I'm new here, new to the IFCA and have only raced Don a handful of times. But even so, it is quite obvious how much work has gone into this so I can fully understand you wanting to sit back and enjoy the game rather than spending so much time building a structure around it.

Kick back, enjoy retirement and hopefully I'll get to see you on the track again in the future.

Spiny Anteater
5-29 posts
5-29 posts

Registration date : 2013-05-28

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag: Spiny Anteater
Infractions:

Back to top Go down

Post by GTDon2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Spiny, no doubt we will get to do battle in the future again.  I very much enjoyed racing with FMUK, and especially yourself.  Top notch guys over there, very fast, and never too serious or upset when a little contact is made.  When I think of the FMUK style of racing, I think, "laid back insanity!" lol What I mean is, you guys are always so cool under pressure, while driving like maniacs! lol

"Piggy" aka "The Pig"
GTDon2
Gold Member

Male

Forza Profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GLR Asteroid on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey Don,....thanks for everything m8. I have been off xbox for the last year or so...due to a life changing event, but just wanted to thank you and IFCA for all the hard work and time spent in ensuring we all had fun. IFCA was my first organized racing league and man was it fun !!

Cheers and thanks
GLR Asteroid
300-469 posts
300-469 posts

Male

Local : Chicago, IL

Registration date : 2010-03-19

Forza Profile
XBL Gamertag:
IFCA Car #: 358
Infractions:

Back to top Go down